Going to Navy Pier via Metra train? Geographically speaking, the closest Metra station is Millennium Station on the Electric District line (view Metra rail map). However, just because it is the closest station doesn’t mean the commute is simple.
Millennium Station to Navy Pier
Once you arrive in downtown Chicago, there are several options to reach the pier:
- Walk 30 minutes
- Rent a Divvy bike near the station and ride through Grant Park to reach the Lakefront Trail and travel north to the pier (8-10 minutes)
- Walk three minutes to the Lake CTA Station and take a “Howard” train to Grand Red. From there it is a 20-minute walk to Navy Pier or wait for the free summer trolley.
OTC and Union Station to Navy Pier
Most Metra lines travel to Union Station or Ogilvie Transit Center. In May through September (and for special events), a water taxi departs near both stations next to Willis Tower at 200 S. Wacker Drive (view map). It is a direct and scenic ride to Navy Pier. Debit or credit card required to purchase fare at the Willis Tower dock. View the map below and Shoreline Water Taxi website to learn more.
LaSalle Station to Navy Pier
If you’re commuting on the Rock Island line, travel to the end-of-the-line: LaSalle Street Station in the south end of the Loop. The following options are available to continue your trip:
- Walk 10 minutes to the water taxi
- Walk 6 minutes to the Jackson Red Station and ride a “Howard” train to the Grand Red Station and walk 20 minutes to the pier or wait for the free trolley
- Request an Uber or Lyft car near the station and commute via car