The Lincoln Park Zoo is north of downtown Chicago at 2001 N. Clark Street near three CTA stations on the red, brown and purple lines. Free and open to the public 365 days a year, the zoo’s popular animals include red pandas, tigers, lions, giraffes, rhinoceros and polar bears. There’s also regular events for adults and children including Wild Spirits, Zoo Ghost Tours, ZooLights and Zoo Ball.
Things to Know
- The main zoo entrance is in between the Fullerton CTA Station and the Armitage CTA Station, with a walking time of about 20 minutes.
- For a slightly shorter walk, exit at the Sedgwick CTA Station to reach the south end of the zoo near the farm animal exhibit.
- Divvy bikes are a good option for getting to or from the zoo if you don’t want to walk (bikes near all three CTA stations) or request an Uber or Lyft car. If you are new to Uber, use promo code TransitGuide to get $20 off your first ride.
From Fullerton and Armitage
- Take a red, brown or purple train to the Fullerton Station (or brown/purple to Armitage). If you need to transfer to brown or purple, Clark/Lake in the Loop is a good transfer location.
- From an station, walk east (toward the stop sign at Armitage or away from Whole Foods at Fullerton). Armitage Avenue dead ends at a zoo entrance. If walking on Fullerton Parkway, turn right on N. Stockton Drive.
If you are planning to eat on the way to the zoo or after your visit, the Armitage Station route has the most restaurants. Fullerton Parkway via the Fullerton Station is more residential and scenic.
- Take a brown or purple line train to the Sedgwick Station.
- Turn left at street level and walk north (view walking map)
This route can be combined with a walk or bike ride through the Old Town neighborhood, or stop at the Chicago History Museum on the way to view the animals.
For specific transit directions from your starting location, use Google Maps.
Divvy Bikes are next to both of the nearby CTA stations if you don’t want to walk. The Armitage Station is an easier route to take if only because you can dock your bike at the end of Armitage Avenue next to the zoo (at Armitage and N. Clark Street).