North Avenue Beach is one of the larger beaches in Chicago and is in walking distance of two CTA stations on the brown and red lines. Beach amenities include volleyball, Castaways restaurant and kayak, paddleboard and jetski rentals.
Things to Know
- Walking time is 20 minutes from the Sedgwick or Clark/Division train station
- Divvy bikes are next to the station and near the beach (before Lake Shore Drive) as a good option to shorten the commute, or take the Lakefront Trail to the beach, which also connects with other area beaches and Navy Pier.
Use Google Maps to get specific transit and walking directions from your starting location. General tips:
- Take a brown line train to the Sedgwick Station
- Walk north toward the pizza and subs restaurant then turn right on North Avenue.
- At the Chicago History Center, take the sidewalk into the park behind the museum to reach the beach (via the tunnel underneath Lake Shore Drive).
- Take a red line train to the Clark/Division Station
- Walk north on a nearby northbound street to reach the history center and walk through the park to the beach (view map)